Sunday 26 February 2017

Surgical history and a scone in Edinburgh - Cafe 1505

A report of Scone Blogger 2's second visit to Café 1505 in a month follows. Given the choice of eateries in Edinburgh this could demonstrate a lack of imagination, but in Café 1505's case it's proof of a really good find. The first visit was purely a spur of the moment, we need to eat now in this part of Edinburgh situation, but visit two was a more considered affair, and more importantly for this blog actually featured a scone.

The Nicolson Street café belongs to the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeon's of Edinburgh which has recently been renovated and redeveloped. The name 1505 refers to the date which the college was created. In the interests of culture a visit to the museum was scheduled in advance of the second visit. I'm a big advocate of cake following culture, and in this case a scone followed the history of surgery. 

The main meals at Café 1505 are contemporary, tasty and filling. The cake selections are extensive. Gluten free, vegan and diary free options are plentiful. Faced with such a wide choice, I decided it was about time a blog about scones featured a scone again and 'scone of the day' was selected. At the point of ordering no questions were asked about what flavour it was, after a morning looking at medical matters I decided to diagnose its contents myself.


I'm not convinced that the photo does justice to the scone, which was one of the best I've eaten. After a few false starts (I'm sure there dates here, err no maybe not) I concluded, correctly, that it was white chocolate and banana. It had a beautiful combination of flavours and a superb scone consistency. As it was scone of the day I can't guarantee it would be available again, but if this represents an example of the scone-craft of the café, I'm sure that scone of any day will make a tasty treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment