Wednesday 16 March 2016

Exmouth, that's Devon right? I need a coffee.

A blog that is primarily, though by no means exclusively, aimed at exposing, for good or ill, Scotland's coffee shops, we find ourselves in London. No reason for this, just happened to be there and had a coffee. We will be delightfully random. London today, who knows where tomorrow? We might even go international, though scones (sc-own-s) are harder to source abroad.

A very pleasant sun-drenched morning stroll from central London (Bolsover Street, to be exact) out to the beginnings of the east end at City University ended at Exmouth market. I knew nothing of Exmouth market, I stumbled across it quite by accident. Over the course of the previous hour's slightly aimless meanderings I had admired the fine architecture of Finsbury Town Hall and, before that, the house on Tavistock Place where Lenin stayed in 1908, and had enjoyed the vista at St. Georges's Gardens, supposedly one of London's "best kept secrets", but plenty of people seemed to have found their way there as I passed through. Odd that, the number of websites there are guiding you to x's "best kept secrets". London really is endlessly fascinating, so I am happy to uncover its secrets serendipitously en route to less intriguing destinations. Like work.

Parks at this time of the year have real charm, they have just about shaken off winter, but trees are not yet in leaf and only a few spring bulbs have dared to show themselves. Everything still in limbo, not quite ready to be seen.

Anyway, enough - let's get to the cakes. I found myself with half an hour to spare and in need of coffee.  I wandered along the Exmouth market street and marveled at the street food being prepped for the upcoming lunchtime rush, pastas, meatballs, curries of various sorts, all kinds of breads. Interesting to see these dishes at the early stages, normally burnt to the pan by the time I get there. I considered Briki for a moment, a very short moment. Cakes looked good and some interesting sarnies on display, but not at all sure about the atmos - just a tad hipster. A young couple came in with their wee treasure in a buggy, moaned about all the other buggies before starting to divest themselves of all manner of ill-matched, shabby over-clothing. Shabby, but enormously expensive. Nah, too up itself, but might have had people-watching potential.

I wandered across to Sweet, a patisserie in the French style. A glance in the window and my decision was made - Portuguese nata. Is there a finer treat to be found anywhere? Friendly and helpful staff served an excellent coffee (Ethiopian blend this week) and the aforementioned nata. Sweet it certainly was, a little too sweet perhaps, and could have done with more nutmeg. Not really a complaint, coffee, cake and the paper, huge windows to watch the world go by, I was at one with all things. The locals began to come in and order salads from the extensive range. I had wondered how they were going to shift all that food, but plenty of people were buying lunch at 11:30, they would have been fine. Coffee and cake was £4.50, certainly not cheap, but I was not rushed and in London you will pay a lot more for a lot worse.

Just the name. Sweet. It's rubbish, why not doux or le sucre or le sucrier. What do I know, I would still happily return.

No comments:

Post a Comment